#job RESEARCH DATA ENGINEER - Austrian Centre for Digital Humanities and Cultural Heritage (ACDH-CH)
The Austrian Centre for Digital Humanities and Cultural Heritage (ACDH-CH), a research department of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW), Austria’s leading non-university research institution, is seeking a
RESEARCH DATA ENGINEER (F*M)
with focus on XML technologies (10 to 40 hours per week)
You will join an internationally networked team, pursuing research at the intersection between information and communication technology and humanities studies. Your work will involve processing and publishing of semi-structured textual data from linguistics and literature studies projects. To get an impression on our work, we invite you to have a look at our code repositories, other projects from the fields or prototypical applications like ABaC:us, TuniCo – Linguistic Dynamics in the Greater Tunis Area or VICAV – Vienna Corpus of Arabic Varieties.
- developing bespoke data models based on standards like the TEI Guidelines or FRBRoo
- implementing XML curation and processing workflows (transformation, enrichment, etc.)
- further developing the publishing infrastructure for XML data
- writing documentation and tests for the developed procedures
- fluency in XML-technologies (most importantly XSLT, XPath, XQuery)
- practical experience with the Guidelines and technical tools of the Text Encoding Initivative
- experience using modern development and deployment tools (Git, Docker, CI/CD)
- experience with processing humanities data (i.e. incomplete, ambiguous and fuzzy data)
- background in the field of humanities, ideally linguistics, and/or computer science
- an international, diverse team in the centre of Vienna
- work with unique cultural heritage data in cutting edge collaborative research projects
- strong focus on innovation and new technologies in a multidisciplinary field and emphasis on open source and open data principles
- flexible family-friendly working hours
- openness to new ideas and initiatives
- an environment to grow your interests and develop your skills
- open communication culture / open-door policy
The initial monthly gross salary is € 2,963.6 (for 100% employment, paid out 14 times a year) in accordance with the collective agreement for employees of the Austrian Academy of Sciences. Based on your experience and academic degree a higher salary is negotiable. The employment will start at the earliest in March 2022 and will run initially for 12 months, with the option of an extension.
Interested? Take the opportunity and send us your application today (including CV, statement of motivation and references of previous projects) by email to email@example.com. The application deadline is
The Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW) pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity. Individuals from underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged to apply.